Thursday, December 2

stuff it

Tonight, I arrived home from work and took a glance in our teeny tiny fridge, which sits at the foot of our teeny tiny bunk bed. I saw in there two beautiful, plump peppers. I decided to make stuffed pepper for dinner. Except, those peppers were actually tomatoes. Luckily, there is such thing as stuffed tomato--so I decided to make that instead. I did some quick googling to get an idea of how to cook the dish but I made up my own recipe (first time ever!).
stuff it
The first thing I did was put a chicken breast into the microwave in a bowl of water (for 7 minutes) to poach. Then I chopped up a fourth of an onion and emptied the tomato. I tossed the hard parts of the tomato but kept the meat and the seeds. I put the onions in a pan on the burner and with medium heat cooked them in olive oil. I added the tomato meat/juice/seeds and half an avocado (I'd eaten the other half already). When the chicken was poached I shredded it, using the two fork method and added it to the pan. I cooked until I felt it was cooked enough.
stuff it
I stuffed as much of the mix into the tomato as possible and placed it on a baking pan covered in foil with some oil spread in the center. The oven was at 170 degrees Celsius (sorry guys, I'm in the UK right now). I couldn't fit all of the mix in, which is totally cool because it'll make a sweet omelet in the morning!
stuff it
I popped the sucker into the oven and proceeded to stress over how to tell it was done. Every website told me that the "tomato would be soft." Dudes! Tomatoes are already soft before you cook them! I let mine cook for about 15 minutes and then took it out because I was worried about overheating. Since I'd already cooked the chicken there really wasn't any danger of food poising. I plated it with some bread cooked by my neighbor, Carolina, the night before and had some juice.
stuff it
stuff it
It was so tasty. Next time I may add some cayenne pepper for a little more spice. The great thing about this is it wouldn't be too difficult to make it in bulk--like I plan to do for my 'rents when they arrive (in 13 days!).

Well, that's my awesome made up stuffed tomato recipe and way too many photos for my own good. Is it wrong that I want to buy a macro lens solely for food photography purposes? I didn't think so.

Oh, fun fact: I drink with my left hand because my dad does. Neither of us are left handed; he started drinking with his left hand in college because if you're in a bar fight the second it takes you to drop your drink could be very valuable and it's better to have your dominant hand free. Haha. At least that is the story he tells.

2 comments:

  1. yum! I love improvising in the kitchen!

    your dad's story is the best ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuffed tomato looks delicious. The cayenne sounds interesting. I can eat with my fork in my dominant hand while clutching my beer in my left hand.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading sixbeforebreakfast and taking the time to comment. I read every comment and am so very grateful to have such awesome readers.

Thanks kittens!

Sarah Yvonne