Tuesday, October 12

vondelpark

On our last day in Amsterdam, Ellie and I took the tram to Vondelpark and spent a few hours there.* Like the other European parks I've explored (i.e. Hyde Park and Holland Park in London) Vondelpark is a fantastic mix of open green space and wooded areas. There are a number of little ponds and lakes where ducks and swans were playing. It is a beautiful park and on Sunday it was filled with people biking, picnicking, and frolicking.
vondelpark
A magic gazebo on its own island :D.
vondelpark
vondelpark
Ellie and I tried to picnic by the water but the grass was too wet and within minutes had soaked through my furry bear of a coat. We moved ourselves to a bench and enjoyed a pepper chedder, a mild chedder, brie & jam, half a loaf of bread, and apples. We had purchased the cheese and bread earlier that day and we had so much that it ended up serving as both lunch and dinner. My favorite combination (introduced to me by Ellie) was brie spread on the fluffy, white bread with jam on top. Yummy!
vondelpark
vondelpark
After our picnic and when we were tired of meandering aimlessly through the pretty park we stopped at this statue to bask in the sun (like iguanas). It was a sunny day but cool enough that we kept our coats on most of the time. I think the natives considered it a warm day; everyone but us were dressed in short sleeves or light jackets.
vondelpark
On my next trip to Amsterdam I want to explore the park further. Apparently there is an arboretum and many more acres than we made it to.

*Why am I posting about my Amsterdam adventure starting with the end? Because it was my favorite day there and I'm getting sick and prefer to reflect on the best part!

2 comments:

  1. Really beautiful pictures. I've been wanting to get to Amsterdam for awhile -- my husband is Dutch. Anyway, lovely! xo Julia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading sixbeforebreakfast and taking the time to comment. I read every comment and am so very grateful to have such awesome readers.

Thanks kittens!

Sarah Yvonne