Wednesday, August 12

countdown: 9 days

I have heard from many people that college was "the best time of their life". A lot of adults will ask about college life and then smile as their eyes glaze over and they remember their youthful adventures. They recount stories of epic parties, school dances, late nights/early mornings, and urge me to seize every opportunity because college is the "best time ever."
God, I hope not.
Yes, there is something to be said for a cafeteria filled with prepared food, having all your friends in the same campus, and weekends consisting of Popov and red solo cups. I like the routine of classes and the mechanics of writing papers (probably more than most students). But, college is not going to be the best time in my life.
I have high hopes for my 20s. I can't wait to get my first apartment and learn to cook. I'm excited about traveling. The idea of owning my own car is exhilarating. One day I want to get married, I have a feeling that'll be pretty awesome.
My 30s will be great too! I'm going to have kids, just a couple. I hear that babies are super. I can't wait to teach them funny words, help them walk for the first time, and to lose my self in endless games of patty-cake and peek-a-boo. I'm going to buy a house and I looking forward to arguing over who's turn it is to unload the dishwasher or take out the trash.
One day my kids will be grown and gone and I'll retire. I think these are called the "golden years". There will be grandchildren to spoil, tea to drink, and (hopefully) a back porch to sit on. Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to those times too.
I don't understand how people can think that college is the best time of their life when there are SO MANY other amazing times to be had. When I am lying on my death bed I hope that I look back on my life and can't pick a "best time" out of all the great times I've had.

Oh, I'm not complaining about college. Trust me, these times, these times are good times. :)

That summer seemed to last forever
And if I had the choice
Ya - Id always wanna be there
Those were the best days of my life
-
Bryan Adams, Summer of '69

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading sixbeforebreakfast and taking the time to comment. I read every comment and am so very grateful to have such awesome readers.

Thanks kittens!

Sarah Yvonne